Monday, November 23, 2015

Vintage Legendary Seiko Diver "Turtle" 6105 8110

One of the best and unique vintage Seiko diver, produced in the late 60's till 70's.
Famous as watches worn by many US veterans in the Vietnam war. They wore them because of the durability and functionality especially in the tough tropical war environment.
Gaining more popularity (hence value) after featured in the movie Apolcalypse Now, that the price now is roaming at around USD1000 range.

I acquired a piece here from a local seller, not up to my expectation but better than nothing, just to get a glimpse of this legendary japanese diver.


Overall condition is not so bad at all considering its age and usage. All except the hands and bracelet are original. Top part of the body had been lightly buffed. Bezel still clicks and rotate smoothly both directions. The crown still locks (its not screwdown but has a groove locking mechanism). Correct movement with hacking mechanism Seiko 6105B Japan. Thick domed type crystal. Movement running strong but a bit faster (from my observation +30-40 sec a day) but can be adjusted.



The hands were already replaced. So I thought I just move on and bought the aftermarket replacement for the bezel insert and the dial. How I wish they are still the original ones. If I got time, will do it myself or better still get a professional watchmaker and get it fully serviced as well.
Seiko diver never dies!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED 30-DEC-2015
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
New look. Serviced, Timed. GREAT!!
I had puchased the repro waffle strap for this model from eBay Uncleseiko, and it look gorgeous.





No comments:

Post a Comment